Lecture and Discussion- Participants are encouraged to make the workshop more relevant to their concerns by asking questions.
The presentation brings together family life cycle theory, family systems theory, couples therapy principles, and communication skills as they apply to an healthy couples relationships. The presentation focuses on how a couple may develop (devolve) into negative patterns of relationship due to ignorance about temperamental differences, parenting demands, values confusion or differences, and poor communication skills. This theoretical knowledge is presented with practical techniques for keeping and/or restoring healthy relationships for couples, including the "Working It Out Plan"- a practical guide to healthy conflict resolution.
SUMMARY OF CONTENT:
1) GOALS FOR IMPROVING COUPLES RELATIONSHIPS
2) STAGES OF COUPLES RELATIONSHIP DEVOLUTION
COMMENTING, COMPLAINING, CRITICIZING- Crossing the Danger Line
CONTEMPT, DEFENSIVENESS- Deep in Danger
EMOTIONAL DISCONNECTION, DIVORCE- Endings
3) A DIAGNOSTIC ORDER FOR UNDERSTANDING BEHAVIOR-
Including Family Life Cycle Issues (Parents- Yes, Couple- We Forgot!)
4) PRINCIPLES OF FAMILY SYSTEMS THEORY APPLIED TO COUPLES
Family of Origin Dynamics Affecting the Current Relationship
5) HOW TEMPERAMENTAL DIFFERENCES AFFECT RELATIONSHIPS
Nine Key Traits- Match & Mismatch
6) ATTACK AND DEFENSIVENESS
Defensiveness & Loss vs. Validating Communication
7) "DON'T TAKE YOUR TURN!"
How To Break Negative Communication Cycles
8) THE FOUR HONORINGS OF COMMUNICATION
Dealing with Fear or Discomfort that Compromises Honest Expression
9) THE WORKING IT OUT PLAN- A Step by Step Practical Guide to Conflict Resolution Between Upset (but Caring) People
10) The Working It Out Plan-
A Practical Guide to Better Communication and Conflict Resolution